Thursday, July 22, 2010

My very first sweater!!!



On Monday night, I went out to eat with my parents and little sister. My mom told me that a dear friend of ours is expecting her first grandchild. My mom is invited to the baby shower, which is in 2 weeks. So of course, my mom asked me to make something. Unfortunately, that's not much time!!! Yikes!!! And with Harry Potter on the mind, I didn't really want to take on any new projects until all of that is finished!

Being the good daughter that I am, and the fact that I love babies, I decided I would start small, maybe with a hat or booties, and then work up to a blanket. That way, if I ran out of time at least mom could give her something. As an overachiever, that just wasn't good enough for me I guess. I originally found a really easy pattern for a garter stitch cardigan. No buttons, no shaping, easy easy. I started working on it and just found it to be boring. So I decided to go with a much more complicated pattern. Its a beautiful button up cardigan, worked from the top down, with feather and fan trimming on the sleeves and fronts. I just start knitting it yesterday and already I have one sleeve completed. Im hoping to finish the other sleeve tonight and then the rest of the body this weekend. I am going to need to seek help however with the button bands and collars. I haven't quite mastered picking up stitches so hopefully Marnie can help me with that next week.

Im so proud of myself for finally making a sweater! Its soooo much easier than I thought! I cannot wait until I get to make a baby sweater for my own child some day! Definitely saving this pattern for future use!

So for now, Harry Potter is on the waiting list (along with 4 other projects that I have started recently). As soon as I finish the sweater, Im going to work on making a feather and fan blanket to match. The pattern repeats are really easy and I think if I use bigger needles it will go by pretty fast. Anyhow, back to knitting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment